Thursday 7 May 2009

The Unexpected Visitor

I worked in a big office, not the boss but quite high up, present day.
We got word that Heinrich Himmler, German SS leader was to pay us a visit.
All the other staff then ran out of the building with the exception of myself who remained.
Himmler duly arrived in full uniform and we shook hands.
I showed him round the office, as he had requested, and he seemed genuinely interested in all the various operations.
I had a vague idea of who he was, but perhaps the others had a better grasp of what he had been involved in during the war.
Perhaps their reaction to run away was the sensible course of action.
I was perhaps too gullible or trusting.
Anyway we seemed to get on well and made ourselves a cup of tea.
I was unaware that he had commited suicide near the end of the war.

No comments: