Friday 22 August 2008

The Car Journey

Driving home in the rain, really heavy and getting dark.
The road was beginning to flood. Torrents were coming off the fields and surging across the road.
Eventually I safely arrived home and reversed into the driveway.
I sat listening to the rain drumming on the car roof. Soon I would go into the house and put the kettle on.
Then I found myself driving out onto the road again.
This is not what I wanted to do. Who was driving the car, me or it?
But, it had stopped raining.
Instead of rain the weather had decided to freeze solid.
The pools and torrents were frozen hard.
Tree branches, heavy with ice lay across the road, now an ice rink.
The car slithered and crunched its way along.
After several miles the car turned back.
But it had turned to snow. Impossible to see where we were going. We would never get home, the road seemed impassable.
But I awoke and the car had carefully deposited me in my nice warm bed.

No comments: