Friday 1 June 2007

Affair of the Heart



Not quite a dream but a glimpse out of the jaws of death. It was the occasion of my cardiac arrest brought on by another relationship crisis, poor diet and other not quite random factors.

The day started with more than my usual amount of lethargy, pins and needles and an unwillingness to face that all was not well. Persuaded by son to phone the doctor who declined to attend but sent an ambulance instead. A wired up wait in a hospital bed with doctor and male nurse staring at me expectantly. With good reason it turned out as I suddenly felt dreadful, tried to get out of bed and fell onto the floor.

Dead for over two minutes before revival, a modest amount compared to those in 'Flatliners'.

Non survivable if outside the Cardiac Care Unit I was later informed.

Anyway, no tunnel of light, angelic choir or fiery pit. Non existence instead, impossible to describe but only known about as I climbed out of it into the above picture. Like I had never existed. Then a sudden rush of awareness like a gale entering the back of my head with all my memories and programming, a total re boot. Born again into the world which was spinning around with fragments of doctors, nurses and shiny equipment. They slowly came together and a female voice said "He's back!"

If I felt ill before, I now felt ten times worse, with a two hour adventure into extreme pain coming up as they tried to insert a pacing wire down my neck into my heart.

I slowly felt really grateful to the hospital staff, the NHS and a host of machinery.

I had been given another chance.

However my relationship woes were not yet over, but that's another story. . .

But I have cut down on the lard sandwiches.

All I have to do now is make the most of being alive, jings.

No comments: