Friday 3 August 2007

The Baby

I was asleep in a dormitory which appeared to be in the upstairs bedroom of the old council house that I lived in. I was in a chair at the foot of a bed containing my sleeping daughter, who was around one third of her present age. Needless to say I was clutching a baby who belonged to neither of us, but was, luckily, sound asleep.
Then some yob came in and woke up another of his type on the other side of the room. They started to speak and laugh loudly. A muffled "Shhh" came from some other bed. No difference, the noise continued and got louder.
I lost it. I stood up and roared,
" If you c**** don't shut up, I will f****** kill both of you."
Stunned silence, but followed by another faint, "Shhh."
However the baby woke up.
I asked my daughter, who was also now awake, and a bit scared (probably of me), what she fed it on.
She replied, "Corn Flakes."
Having forgotten to bring any, I tried feeding it a tomato I found on a nearby shelf.
We all tried to settle down again, but the sleeping spell in the room had been somewhat broken.
That's why I was awake at 5am.

No comments: