Thursday 23 August 2007

The Crossroads

"Hi George," I shouted across the square. The George in question was a scientist I knew who retired around 40 years ago. He didn't look a day older, always was a young looking guy. His retiral 'do' marked the occasion when he would wear a woman's red dress.
I asked him across to the house where I was staying. The house was a crooked, ancient stone affair.
The place? Well, it was at a crossroads. The roads were narrow and rough. No traffic was ever visible on the road but things and people passed by continuously.
It was the busiest junction in the Universe, right at the very centre, but few ever found it and virtually no one ever stopped. There was around 3 houses and a sort of post office/general store.
I had just been in the shop, which was closing at 6pm. I had been looking for a wooden puppet for my granddaughter. One of the women assistants had taken me into the basement which was an Aladdin's Cave of unusual toys and almost everything else. I said I would come back in the morning, which evinced great surprise as very few people stayed at the crossroads overnight.
Anyway, back to George. I was about to take him into the house when I realised that the woman and daughter inside dated from over 30 years ago. I wished I could introduce him to someone more contemporary. My daughter at least he would like to meet.
But, at that moment I was whisked off along one of the roads, to arrive back in an 8am sunny morning in 2007.

2 comments:

The Editor said...

The centre of YOUR Universe?

Isn't that the junction of South Street and Scott Street? or is it High Street and Scott Street?

The Snoring Man said...

Some people are the centre of their own universe.