Thursday 9 August 2007

Running for No Reason

The train stopped in an open area of country. Border police boarded and started to make their way through the train. I jumped out and made a run for it. Others, presumably with different guilt problems, legged it as well.
I ran along a track and hid under an overhang of turf. I had heard a searching helicopter. I peeked out and saw a long thin pencil like machine, without rotors, hovering overhead. Black helmeted personnel sat in open chairs on either side, peering down.
I ran off again, imagining thermal imaging. I ran into a wooded country estate, past a pipe smoking colonel and his tartan trouser suited daughter. They were both startled and she ran after me. I can easily outrun her I thought. But no, a minute later she was loping alongside, asking me why I was running.
I stopped and said that I had no idea.
"Work on it," she said.

1 comment:

The Editor said...

That sounds like that Colonel and his daughter i did a chimney for last year.