Tuesday 4 December 2007

An Unlikely Scenario

Last night I was with a civil engineer on a cliff top in Shetland. We were looking down at the water surging against the cliff base. There was the ruins of an old harbour nearby.
The engineer had a thing that looked like a giant coil type tape measure but made of heavy gauge steel. He flicked it and a steel tape came zooming out and cracked against a bit of the cliff face. The rock cracked and a large chunk fell into the sea.
I stepped back as he systematically destroyed the cliff.I asked him what he was doing and he said he was going to build houses on this part of the sea.
Feeling somewhat disturbed I went over to stand by Wullie, an old pal from my Shetland days. He pointed out two small fishing boats that were over some excellent haddock ground.
He wistfully wished he were out there with them.
Because one day it would all be covered by houses.
But no, one day the excellent haddock ground will cover us all up instead.

No comments: