Friday 12 October 2007

My New Scooter

I had a little scooter, 50cc engine and light enough to be carried in one hand.
I was heading towards Perth to do some shopping. The day was fine and it felt great to be scooting along the open road, no helmet, just sun and wind. Tescos here I come.
Deciding to go the harbour route, I did a right turn, although a turning lorry nearly knocked me from my machine.
A number of lorries and cars overtook me, my speed being pretty insignificant.
The road began to narrow and sweep round to the left. There were no turnoffs.
The road narrowed further, enough to be alarming. I slowed, and the road ended in a set of stone steps.
Where had the other traffic gone? Up the steps? Things were not right.
I picked up the scooter and climbed the stairs. A lengthy flight.
At the top was the harbour and a row of old cottages. Several steam puffers were tied up at the quay.
The people stared at my scooter, a chromium anachronism.
Out of time and place again.

3 comments:

Decipherous said...

Sounds like you felt good at having cast off a certain 'weight'.
I can only imagine what.
Restrictive past here you come.

The Snoring Man said...

Sounds a bit harsh, but maybe you are right.
Although the road I had taken turned out to be a bit of a cul de sac. Not what I expected.
Perhaps if turned round and tried another road to my destination.

Decipherous said...

Perhaps if you'd cast off the correct weight.