Tuesday 9 October 2007

The Unusual Job

Son C. and I were walking through the streets of a wet, deserted city. We came across a man called Bill. I knew him to be a real outdoor sort, tweeds, fit and usually carrying some sort of weapon.
Bill asked us to follow him, which we did, gradually leaving the wet streets behind.
He took us up onto a hill, which grew gradually steeper.
Near the summit was a grassy hollow, at the bottom of which lay the decomposing body of a middle aged man. Looked like a lost hillwalker. Bill's job, he told us, was to keep tabs on all the undiscovered dead bodies in Scotland. I struggled a bit with the logic of his statement, but that was soon put out of my head when he chopped off the foot of the corpse, using a large axe. Out of the body streamed columns of maggots. This was to show C. the reality of the situation. Even Bill looked a bit pale, never mind C. and myself. It all seemed a bit much.

No comments: