Tuesday 18 March 2008

The Grim Van

Heard the chimes of an ice cream van last night. Rushed out to get myself a '99'.
Bit eerie though. The road outside was different, no other houses, a dim avenue of trees. The van seemed unnaturally lurid, sort of glowing grimly in the twilight.
A handsome bearded man and an attractive woman had already bought ice creams and were standing nearby eating them. Neighbours I didn't know.
The ice cream man greeted me like a long lost friend, said he had been waiting for me.
I thought of just getting myself a 99, but then thought my dad and my son and his pal might also like them.
So I ordered ice cream for all, remembering that my dad used to say, "I could go an ice cream".
Then I remembered he had been dead around 8 years.
One ice cream spare.

No comments: