Sunday 4 March 2007

Earl Grey, Blindness and a Lunar Eclipse

I was sitting at a table in an open square in a foreign country, sipping my earl grey. It was a beautiful place, busy but peaceful. Suddenly, I could no longer see, I had been struck blind. I continued to sit, unable to take this in. I even had another drink of earl grey, albeit with difficulty. What should I do, shout out, try to find my way to a place of safety, wait for something to happen? Maybe my sight would return. Does drinking too much earl grey make you blind? Perhaps someone I knew would come along and find me. I felt extremely vulnerable. Who would answer my shouts, a waitress, robbers, police, bemused passers by? How could I judge if they were ok or not? It was a different universe, rules had suddenly changed. I was never even completely at ease with the old ones!

I awoke, to see moonlight pouring in my window, incredible relief. Memories of the 'Day of the Triffids' came back. Last night I had seen the eclipse of the moon, the best ever, beautiful shades of grey, green and a coppery red. A white light retreating then creeping over the lunar surface. A fantastic 3D effect through the binoculars.
A profound appreciation that I can see.

1 comment:

The Editor said...

Regarding blindness, It's possible that there was a bit of a mix up with the appropriate heavenly body involved in the 'eclipse' watching with binoculars.